Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Bighorn Sheep Herd at Zzyzx (Part II of Tales of the Zzyzx Bighorns)(w/Lamb Pics)

by Steve Reiss (Dalmdad Landscape Photography - www.dalmdad.com and https://www.facebook.com/Dalmdad.)

The two lamb videos/slideshows in my earlier post about seeing the bighorn sheep herd at Zzyzx in May, 2013 did not come out all that well.

Seeing a 2-week old bighorn lamb within 100 feet or so, is pretty rare (although here is a ewe and 2 lambs from another sighting) and absolutely spectacular.  This lamb deserved a more significant posting of its cuteness.

***

Bighorn ewes have a six-month gestation. In temperate climates, the peak of the rut occurs in November with one, or rarely two, lambs being born in May. Most births occur in the first two weeks of the lambing period. 

Lambs born earlier in the season are more likely to survive than lambs born later. Lambs born late may not have access to sufficient milk, as their mothers are lactating at a time when food quality is lower. Newborn lambs weigh from 8 to 10 lb and can walk within hours. The lambs are then weaned when they reach four to six months old. 



 ***

For your enjoyment, I present the raw images of a 2-week old lamb exploring his new world and searching for shade.

Eventhough I am pretty young, I can gallop over these loose and jagged rocks!

Looking for shade

I think I found shade

Hmm.  Can I fit in here?

Lookin' Good!

Great shade!!

I am really liking this spot!!

Hey Dad...Look at this great spot I found!

Time to head home

Eventually I will learn to breath with my mouth shut!

                                                                              ***
Part III of this post cycle/string (coming soon) will contain pics of the grown bighorns of this lamb's herd.

Note: All our bighorn sheep photos are available for licensing on very reasonable terms.

No comments: